The Sundial motif is a square afghan block using basic stitches, post stitches, and complex variations to create lots of interesting fabric texture!
This afghan block is made with simple stitches to quickly create a gorgeous fabric that is really fun to crochet. This pattern is worked in joined rounds using chains, single, double, and triple crochet stitches, with specialty stitches back post double and triple, front post double and triple, and back loops only.
In addition to the written instructions, you can use the stitch chart to follow every step and successfully make your own Sundial Motif and blanket.
Follow the pattern to create a standard throw or create as many blocks as you want for a blanket size that you choose!
The Sundial Motif and Throw is a great pattern because:
- Each motif is created separately, then joined together when you’re done (it’s portable, hooray)!
- Each motif is quick and fun to work up!
- You can easily substitute yarn fibers, weights, and colors to make this motif and finished afghan your own style!
- You’ll get to practice a lot of crochet skills: working in joined rounds, increasing, front and back post stitches, complex stitch repeats, gauge & size, border, finishing techniques & more!
Before you get started…
Need some inspiration?
Check out other finished projects, here:
Not sure what size afghan to make?
Check out our size guide and cheat sheet, here:
Want help reading the asterisk, bracket, and parenthesis stitch repeats?
Check out our helpful guide, here:
Let’s get started!
Pattern Designed By: Salena Baca Crochet. This pattern is copyright protected; it is unlawful to distribute this pattern in any form (free, sale or trade).
Sprightly Acrylic Worsted, Medium Weight #4 (100% Acrylic; 201 yds/183 m per 3.5 oz/100 g skein):
- Teal x 13 skeins
- Check for yarn substitutes!
- US Size J/10 6.00 mm Crochet Hook
- Measuring Tape
- 25 pattern Sts = 10”
- 10 pattern rows = 5”
- 1 motif = 10” x 10”
- Sample throw = 50” x 50”
- Ch(s) = chain(s)
- Sc = single crochet
- Dc = double crochet
- Tc = triple crochet
- St(s) = stitch(es)
- Sl St = slip stitch
SPECIALTY STITCHES & TECHNIQUES
- Adjustable Loop
- BPDc = Back Post Double Crochet
- BPTc = Back Post Triple Crochet
- FPDc = Front Post Double Crochet
- FPTc = Front Post Triple Crochet
- BLO = Back Loops Only
- Each motif is worked individually, then joined together once complete.
- To alter throw in size, create desired number of squares & join accordingly.
- If resizing; 1 skein of suggested yarn makes 2 motifs.
- Chart of 1 (figure 1) motif on last page.
- Diagram of joining order (figure 2).
MOTIF (Make 25)
Round 1 (Right Side): Form adjustable loop, Ch 3 (not a St, here and throughout), work 12 Dc into loop, Sl St to top of first St to join – 12 Dc
Round 2: Ch 3, (FPTc, Dc) 12 times, Sl St to top of first St to join – 24 Sts; 12 FPTc + 12 Dc
Round 3: Ch 3, [FPTc around FPTc, Dc into next 2 Sts] 12 times, Sl St to top of first St to join – 36 Sts; 12 FPTc + 24 Dc
Round 4: Ch 3, [FPTc around FPTc, Dc into next 3 Sts] 12 times, Sl St to top of first St to join – 48 Sts; 12 FPTc + 36 Dc
Round 5: Ch 3, [FPTc around FPTc, Dc into next 4 Sts] 12 times, Sl St to top of first St to join – 60 Sts; 12 FPTc + 48 Dc
Round 6: Ch 3, [FPTc around FPTc, Dc into next 5 Sts] 12 times, Sl St to top of first St to join – 72 Sts; 12 FPTc + 60 Dc
Round 7: Ch 4 (first Tc + Ch 1, here and throughout), work 3 Tc into same St, skip 2 Sts, Sc, *[skip 2 Sts, (3 Dc, Ch 1, 3 Dc) into same St, skip 2 Sts, Sc] 2 times, skip 2 Sts, (3 Tc, Ch 1, 3 Tc) into same St, skip 2 Sts, Sc*. Repeat * to * 3 times. Skip 2 Sts, Sc, [skip 2 Sts, (3 Dc, Ch 1, 3 Dc) into same St, skip 2 Sts, Sc] 2 times, work 2 Tc into 1st St of round, Sl St to top of first Tc to join – 96 Sts; 48 Dc + 24 Tc + 12 Sc + 12 Ch
Round 8: Sl St into Ch-1 space, Ch 4, Tc into Ch-1 space, BPTc around next 3 Tc, skip Sc, *[BPDc around 3 Dc, Sc into Ch-1 space, BPDc around 3 Dc, skip Sc] 2 times, BPTc around 3 Tc, (Tc, Ch 1, Tc) into Ch-1 space, BPTc around 3 Tc, skip Sc*. Repeat * to * 3 times. [BPDc around 3 Dc, Sc into Ch-1, BPDc around 3 Dc, skip Sc] 2 times, BPTc around 3 Tc, Sl St to top of first Tc to join – 92 Sts; 48 BPDc + 24 BPTc + 8 Sc + 4 Ch + 8 Tc
Round 9: Sl St into Ch-1 space, Ch 4, Tc into Ch-1 space, [BPDc around next 22 Sts, (Tc, Ch 1, Tc) into next Ch-1 space] 3 times, BPDc around next 22 Sts, Sl St to top of first Tc to join – 100 Sts; 88 BPDc + 8 Tc + 4 Ch
Round 10: Sl St into Ch-1 space, Ch 4, Tc into Ch-1 space, [ Hdc into next 24 Sts, (Tc, Ch 1, Tc) into next Ch-1 space] 3 times, Hdc into next 24 Sts, Sl St to top of first Tc to join, fasten off – 108 Sts; 96 Hdc + 8 Tc + 4 Ch
Use Figure 2 as a guide for joins. With Right Sides facing, arrange motifs into joining order; 5 rows of 5 motifs. Begin with any 2:
- Hold 2 adjacent motifs with wrong sides together. Beginning at first Ch-1 corner, attach yarn through both thicknesses. Sl St into BLO of each St across both motifs (and for remaining 4 pairs of motifs) until last Ch-1 St is met. Fasten off.
- Repeat above for each horizontal join.
- Rotate throw, repeat above for each vertical join.
With the Right Side of Throw facing, attach yarn into any Ch-1 corner.
Round 1: Ch 4 (first Dc + Ch1), Dc, [*FPDc around next St, BPDc around following St* repeat from * to * across side (including 1 Tc St per Join, next to seam), (Dc, Ch 1, Dc) into Ch-1 corner space] 3 times, FPDc around next St, BPDc around following St across side, Sl St into top of first Dc to join, fasten off.
Sew in the ends, trim excess.
Peace + Love + Crochet