This pattern is worked in joined rounds using basic stitches including the Chain, Single, Double, Slip, and Shell stitches!
The strap is made using foundation half double crochet, and if you’re not sure how to work them we’ve got a video tutorial!
The Coastal Crossbody is 9.5” tall by 7.75” wide, which is perfect for holding your daily essentials like a phone, wallet, keys or book!
The crossbody style means the long purse strap is placed over your head and rests on one shoulder, so that your purse comfortably lays at your hip.
This is a great pattern to work up because:
- Tote bags are quick and easy projects to make.
- You can use yarn you already have in your stash!
- This project works great with cotton yarns, plant-based fibers, or acrylics!
- You’ll get to practice a lot of crochet skills: joined rounds, stitch tension, gauge & size, Shells, textured and fun stitch repeats, foundation half double, finishing techniques & more!
Before you get started…
Need some inspiration?
Check out other finished projects, here:
Want to learn the foundation half double crochet before you get started?
Watch our video, right here:
Let’s get started!
Pattern Designed By: Salena Baca Crochet. This pattern is copyright protected; it is unlawful to distribute this pattern in any form (free, sale or trade).
Peaches & Creme Original, Worsted weight #4 yarn (100% cotton; 120 yds/109 m per 2.5 oz/70.9 g skein):
- Ecru x 2 Skeins
- Check for yarn substitutes!
- US Size G/6 4.00 mm Crochet Hook
- 8” cardboard (for tassel)
- 30 pattern sts = 7.75”
- 10 pattern rows = 4”
- 9.5” tall x 7.75” wide
SPECIALTY STITCHES & TECHNIQUES
- BLO = Back Loops Only
- Shell = Work 5 double crochet stitches into the same stitch
- FHdc (Foundation Half Double Crochet).
- First FHdc: Ch 3, yarn over, skip 2 Chs, insert hook, yarn over, pull through Ch, yarn over, pull through 1 loop, yarn over, pull through 3 loops.
- FHdc: Yarn over, insert hook through 2 loops on side of last FHdc worked, yarn over, pull through loops, yarn over, pull through 1 loop, yarn over, pull through 3 loops.
- Pattern is worked in two parts: Bag (rounds), Strap (rows).
- Strap is available in 3 size
Round 1 (Right Side): Ch 31, Skip 1 Ch (not a St), work 1 Sc into BLO of each Ch across, rotate (working into opposite side of Ch), work 1 Sc into BLO of each Ch across, Sl St into top of first Sc to join – 60 Sc
Round 2: Ch 1 (not a St, here and throughout), work 1 Sc into each St around, Sl St into top of first Sc to join – 60 Sc
Repeat round 2 until 5 rounds are complete.
Round 6: Ch 1, [Sc, skip 2 Sts, Shell, skip 2 Sts] 10 times, Sl St into top of first Sc to join – 60 Sts; 10 Shells + 10 Sc
Round 7: Ch 3 (first Dc, here and throughout), work 2 Dc into same St, [skip 2 Sts, Sc, skip 2 Sts, Shell] 9 times, skip 2 Sts, Sc, skip 2 Sts, work 2 Dc into 1st St of round, Sl St into top of first Dc to join – 60 Sts; 10 Shells + 10 Sc
Round 8: Repeat round 6
Round 9-10: Repeat round 2
Repeat rounds 6-10 until 25 rounds are complete.
Round 26: Ch 1, [work 1 Sc into each of next 5 Sts, Ch 5, skip 5 Sts, Sc into each of next 15 Sts, Ch 5, skip 5 Sts] 2 times total, Sl St into top of first Sc to join – 60 Sts; 40 Sc + 20 Chs
Round 27-28: Repeat round 2. Fasten off after the last round is complete.
STRAP: 30 (40, 50)”
Row 1 (Right Side): Leave 10” tail, FHdc 105 (140, 175) times, fasten off 10” tail – 105 (140, 175) FHdc
Row 1 (Right Side): Leave 10” tail, FHdc 10 times, with right side of Part 1 facing skip 10 Sts, Hdc into each St across until 10 FHdc remain unworked, FHdc 10 times, fasten off 10” tail – 105 (140, 175) Sts; 20 (20, 20) FHdc + 85 (120, 155) FHdc
Strap Placement: Assure strap is not twisted. From inside of the purse out, feed each split end of strap through adjacent Ch-5 spaces from round 26.
Tassel (Repeat for each end of strap; 4 total): Cut 20 pieces of yarn, each 16” in length, split into 4 groups of 5. Feed 5 pieces of yarn evenly through each row end of Strap (4 total), fold in half. For each side: hold both end rows together, use all yarn ends to form one knot that covers end rows of strap. Trim tassel ends to make even.
Finishing: Weave in ends, trim excess.
Peace + Love + Crochet