If you love to crochet quick and easy projects, give this open, textured afghan a try!
This design is worked in rows and includes every basic crochet stitch for an intricate design. It’s a great afghan (blanket) to try because:
- Chain, single crochet, double crochet and triple crochet stitches are used together to create a fun and interesting design!
- Blankets are great gifts for baby showers and first birthdays!
- Use any yarn you like to make your afghan with our stitch repeat instructions (the finished sizes are up to you)!
- You’ll get to practice a lot of crochet skills: multiple stitches in rows, complex stitch and row repeats, gauge & size, finishing techniques & more!
Before you get started…
Need some inspiration? Check out other Ocean Breeze Blankets, here:
Wondering what size blanket you should make?
Let’s get started!
Pattern Designed By: Salena Baca Crochet. This pattern is copyright protected; it is unlawful to distribute this pattern in any form (free, sale or trade).
Caron One Pound, Worsted Weight #4 yarn (100% Acrylic, 812 yds/742 m per 16 oz/454 g Skein):
- Color A = Ocean, 1 skein
- Color B = Soft Grey Mix, 100 yards
- Check for yarn substitutes!
HOOK & OTHER MATERIALS
- US Size H/8 (5.00mm) crochet hook
- Yarn Needle
13 pattern Sts = 4”, 7 pattern rows = 4”
- Ch(s) = chain(s)
- Sc = single crochet
- Dc = double crochet
- Tc = triple crochet
- Sl St = slip stitch
- St(s) = stitch(es)
- Pattern instructions create one size blanket: 34”x40”
- Work Starting Ch in multiple of 11 + 3 (+3 for turning Ch, not a St), and work repeats until desired length is reached.
With Color A, Ch 105.
Row 1 (Right Side): Skip 3 Ch (not a St), Dc into each Ch across – 102 Dc
Row 2: Ch 3 (not a St, here and throughout), turn, Dc into next 3, [Ch 3, skip 2 Sts, Tc into next 4 Sts, Ch 3, skip 2 Sts, Dc into next 3 Sts] 9 times – 120 Sts; 36 Tc, 30 Dc, 18 Ch-3 spaces
Rows 3–5: Ch 3, turn, Dc into next 3 Sts, [Ch 3, Sc into next 4 Tc, Ch 3, Dc into next 3 Dc] 9 times – 120 Sts; 30 Dc, 36 Sc, 18 Ch-3 spaces
Row 6: Ch 3, turn, Dc into next 3 Sts, [Ch 3, Tc into next 4 Sc, Ch 3, Dc into next 3 Dc] 9 times – 120 Sts; 36 Tc, 30 Dc, 18 Ch-3 spaces
Row 7: Ch 3, turn, Dc in next 3 Sts, [2 Dc into Ch-3 space, Dc into next 4 Tc, 2 Dc into Ch-3 space, Dc into next 3 Dc] 9 times – 102 Dc
Repeat rows 2 – 7 until 67 rows complete (ending on a row 7 repeat). Fasten off.
With Right Side facing, attach Color B into last Dc of Row 67.
Round 1 (Right Side): Ch 1 (not a St), work 3 Sc into same St. Turn to work down left side of Blanket; work 2 Sc into each Dc row end (134 Sc), work 3 Sc into bottom left corner of Row 1. Turn to work across Row 1 of blanket; work 2 Sc between every 2nd St across (102 Sc), work 3 Sc into bottom right corner of Row 1. Turn to work up right side of blanket; work 2 Sc into each Dc row end (134 Sc), work 3 Sc into top right corner of row 67. Turn to work across Row 67 of blanket; work 2 Sc between every 2nd St across (102 Sc), Sl St to 1St Sc to join. Fasten off – 484 Sc
Finishing: Sew in ends, trim excess.
Peace + Love + Crochet