This pattern is worked in joined rounds using basic stitches including the Chain, Single, Double, and Slip!
This plant hanger is worked in one solid piece, including the hanging loops.
The full length of the Hanging Plant Basket is 20” long and about 5” wide, which is perfect for holding smaller pots of the same width.
This design begins in joined rounds that form a triangle, then work upward with chain gaps that create space and a really nice chevron detail.
The three loops used to hang this plant basket are an interesting feature, which also make this design very sturdy.
Use this indoors or outdoors to hold your favorite plants, herbs, flowers or succulents!
This is a great pattern to work up because:
- Baskets like this are quick and easy projects to make.
- You can use most weight 4 yarns you already have in your stash!
- This project works great with cotton yarns!
- You’ll get to practice a lot of crochet skills: joined rounds, stitch tension, gauge & size, chain, single, and triple crochet stitches, finishing techniques & more!
Before you get started…
Need some inspiration?
Check out other finished projects, here:
Not sure how to work in joined rounds?
Check out this quick video, here:
Let’s get started!
Pattern Designed By: Salena Baca Crochet. This pattern is copyright protected; it is unlawful to distribute this pattern in any form (free, sale or trade).
Bernat Handicrafter, Medium weight #4 yarn (100% cotton; 80 yds/73 m per 1.75 oz/50 g skein):
- Off White x 1 Skein
- Check for yarn substitutes!
- US G/6 (4 mm) crochet hook
- Yarn needle
- Flower pot; 8-10” around (3.5” diameter) x 5-7” tall
- 2” hook screw
SPECIALTY STITCHES & TECHNIQUES
- 10” around at round 5
- 20” total length
- Not crucial for this project.
- Pattern is worked in joined rounds from the bottom up, including the chain loops for hanging.
Round 1: Form adjustable loop, Ch 6 (first Dc + Ch-3 space), [work 4 Dc into loop, Ch 3] 2 times, work 3 Dc into loop, Sl St into top of first Dc to join – 21 Sts; 12 Dc + 9 Ch
Round 2: Sl St into each of next 2 Ch, Ch 6 (first Dc + Ch-3 space), Dc into same St, Dc into each of next 6 Sts, [(Dc, Ch 3, Dc) into next St, Dc into each of next 6 Sts] 2 times, Sl St into top of first Dc to join – 33 Sts; 24 Dc + 9 Ch
Round 3: Sl St into each of next 2 Ch, Ch 6 (first Dc + Ch-3 space), Dc into same St, Dc into each of next 10 Sts, [(Dc, Ch 3, Dc) into next St, Dc into each of next 10 Sts] 2 times, Sl St into top of first Dc to join – 45 Sts; 36 Dc + 9 Ch
Round 4: Sl St into each of next 2 Ch, Ch 1 (not a St), [Sc, Ch 13, skip 14 Sts] 3 times, Sl St into top of first Sc to join – 42 Sts; 3 Sc + 39 Ch
Round 5: Ch 9 (first Dc + Ch-6 space), skip 6 Ch, [Dc, Ch 6, skip 6 Ch] 5 times, Sl St into top of first Dc to join – 42 Sts; 6 Dc + 36 Ch
Round 6: Sl St into each of next 7 Sts, Ch 1 (not a St), [Sc, Ch 100, skip 13 Sts] 3 times, Sl St into top of first Sc to join, fasten off, invisible join – 303 Sts; 3 Sc + 300 Ch
- Sew in ends, trim excess.
- Arrange Ch-100 loops neatly on sides, taking care not to tangle.
- Place plant into flower pot, then into plant basket.
- Gathering 1 Ch-100 loop at a time, adjust flower pot and plant basket as necessary.
- Ensure 2” hook screw is securely into place, transfer all Ch-100 loops onto hook.
Peace + Love + Crochet