The Button Up Cowl is quick to make, really simple to follow, and can be worked in 4 different sizes!
This design is worked in short rows using basic crochet stitches, and is a great pattern because:
- Accessories are quick and easy projects to work up, especially with super bulky yarn!
- Just one skein makes any size!
- This project is perfect for gifts!
- You’ll get to practice a lot of crochet skills: Rows, stitch tension, gauge & size, specialty stitches (like the Back Loop Only), attaching buttons, finishing techniques & more!
Before you get started…
Need some inspiration? Check out other finished projects, here:
Let’s get started!
Pattern Designed By: Salena Baca Crochet. This pattern is copyright protected; it is unlawful to distribute this pattern in any form (free, sale or trade).
Lion Brand Hometown USA, Super Bulky #6 yarn (100% acrylic; 81 yds/74 m per 5 oz/142 g skein):
- Kansas City Wheat x 1 (all sizes)
- Check for yarn substitutes!
HOOK & OTHER MATERIALS
- US Size N/15 (10.0mm) crochet hook. Adjust hook size if necessary to obtain gauge.
- 1” button x 3
- 7 Hdc Sts = 4”
- 4 Hdc rows = 3”
- 22” Long x 3.75’ Wide: 2-5 years
- 24” Long x 3.75” Wide: 5-8 years
- 26” Long x 5.25” Wide: 8-12 years
- 28” Long x 5.25” Wide: Adult
SPECIALTY STITCHES & TECHNIQUES
- BLO = Back Loop Only
- Pattern worked in rows.
- Button holes are formed within the fabric, making the buttons functional.
- Fabric is reversible. Buttons determine the right side of fabric.
INSTRUCTIONS: 2-5 Years (5-8 Years, 8-12 Years, Adult)
Leave a 12” tail, Ch 41 (45, 48, 51).
Row 1: Skip 1 Ch (not a St), work 1 HDc into each Ch across - 40 (44, 47, 50) HDc
Row 2: Ch 1 (not a St), turn, HDc into BLO of first 3 Sts, Ch 1, skip 1 St (button hole), HDc into BLO of each St across - 40 (44, 47, 50) Sts; 39 (43, 46, 49) HDc + 1 Ch
Row 3: Ch 1 (not a St), turn, HDc into BLO of each St across - 40 (44, 47, 50) HDc
Repeat rows 2 and 3 until 5 (5, 7, 7) rows complete (ending on a row 3 repeat). Fasten off, leaving 12” tail.
Finishing: All sizes
- Weave 12” tail ends toward center of cowl, knot to fasten, trim excess.
- Fasten buttons on opposite side of cowl from button holes.
Peace + Love + Crochet