The Cara Louise Cowl is quick to make, really simple to follow, and can be worked in 3 different sizes!
This design is worked in joined rounds using basic crochet stitches like chain, single and slip stitch, and also uses a Bobble stitch for a gorgeous and textured look.
This is a great pattern because:
- Accessories are quick and easy projects to work up, especially when you can use scrap yarn!
- This cowl looks great when you use different colors!
- This project is perfect for gifts!
- You’ll get to practice a lot of crochet skills: Rounds, stitch tension, gauge & size, specialty stitches (like the Bobble), color changes, finishing techniques & more!
Before you get started…
Need some inspiration? Check out other finished projects, here:
Want to learn how to change colors in rows? Watch this video:
Not familiar with the Bobble stitch? Watch this video to see a 4 Double Crochet Bobble, then follow our instructions to make a 2 Double Crochet Bobble for this pattern:
Let’s get started!
Pattern Designed By: Salena Baca Crochet. This pattern is copyright protected; it is unlawful to distribute this pattern in any form (free, sale or trade).
Scheepjes Merino Soft, aran weight #4 yarn (50% Merino Superwash Wool + 50% microfiber; 115 yds/105 m per 1.76 oz/50 g skein):
- A = Da Vinci #606
- B = Renoir #624
- C = Lautrec #630
- D = Ansingh #643
- E = Milais #631
- Check for yarn substitutes!
HOOK & OTHER MATERIALS
- US Size G/6 4.00 mm Crochet Hook
- Yarn Needle
- 21.5 pattern Sts = 4”
- 5 pattern rows = 4”
- 25” around x 9” tall
- 32” around x 9” tall
- 40” around x 9” tall
SPECIALTY STITCHES / TECHNIQUES
- Bobble (2 Double Crochet Bobble) = [yarn over, insert hook into 1 St, yarn over, pull up loop, yarn over, pull through 2 loops on hook] 2 times, yarn over, pull through all 3 loops on hook.
- This is a mirrored pattern, worked from the center outward in two sections (1, 2) of joined rounds.
- Change color as desired. To follow example, change colors as follows:
- A = round 1
- B = round 2-3
- C = round 4-5
- D = round 6-7
- E = round 8-11
- Other yarn weights and types may be used as desired; measure as you go for best results.
INSTRUCTIONS: 25 (32, 40)” size
Ch 135 (175, 215), Sl St into 1st Ch to join (careful not to twist).
Round 1 (Right Side): Ch 2 (not a St, here and throughout, [(Bobble, Ch 2, Bobble, ch 2, Bobble) into 1 St, skip 4 chs] 27 (35, 43) times, Sl St into top of first Bobble to join – 189 (245, 301) Sts; 81 (105, 129) Bobbles + 54 (70, 86) Ch-2 spaces
Round 2: Sl St until 2nd Bobble of round reached, Ch 1 (not a St, here and throughout), [Sc into top of Bobble, Ch 4, skip 2 Bobbles] 27 (35, 43) times, Sl St into top of first Sc to join – 135 (175, 215) Sts; 27 (35, 43) Sc + 27 (35, 43) Ch-4 spaces
Round 3: Ch 2, (Bobble, Ch 2, Bobble, Ch 2, Bobble) into each Sc around, Sl St into top of first Bobble to join – 189 (245, 301) Sts; 81 (105, 129) Bobbles + 54 (70, 86) Ch-2 spaces
Repeat rounds 2-3 until 10 rounds complete (ending on a round 2 repeat).
Round 11: Ch 1, work 5 Sc into each Ch-4 space around, Sl St into top of first Sc to join, fasten off – 135 (175, 215) Sc
With Right Side of Section 1 facing, join yarn into 1st St of foundation Ch. Repeat Section 1, beginning at round 1.
Finishing: Sew in ends, trim excess.
Peace + Love + Crochet