The Ruffled Shell Cowl is quick to make, simple to follow along, and can be worked in 3 different sizes!
This design is worked in rows using basic crochet stitches like chain, single and double crochet, and also uses a Shell and Half Shell stitch for a textured look. The cowl is finished with a ruffled border which is very easily worked with double crochet stitches.
This is a great pattern because:
- Accessories are quick projects to work up!
- The cowl is fastened with buttons, giving lots of style options!
- Cowls make great gifts!
- You’ll get to practice a lot of crochet skills: Rows, stitch tension, gauge & size, specialty stitches (like the shell and half shell), applying a border, working ruffles, finishing techniques & more!
Before you get started…
Need some inspiration?
Check out other finished projects, here:
Learn more about this pattern from the author – Salena Baca!
Let’s get started!
Pattern Designed By: Salena Baca Crochet. This pattern is copyright protected; it is unlawful to distribute this pattern in any form (free, sale or trade).
Lion Brand Yarn Cotton-Ease, medium weight #4 yarn (50% Acrylic + 50% Cotton; 207 yds/189 m per 3.5 oz/100 g skein): Terracotta x 1 skein (all sizes)
HOOK & OTHER MATERIALS
- US Size H/8 5.00 mm Crochet Hook
- Yarn Needle
- 1” buttons x 2
- 2 pattern shells = 4”
- 7 pattern rows = 4”
SIZES/FINISHED MEASUREMENTS (without ruffles)
- Child: 22” long x 6” wide
- Teen: 24” long x 6” wide
- Adult: 26” long x 6” wide
SPECIALTY STITCHES / TECHNIQUES
- Shell = Work 5 double crochet stitches into the same stitch.
- Half Shell = Work 3 double crochet stitches into the same stitch.
- Cowl is worked in one piece and written in two sections: Cowl (rows), Border (rounds).
- Either side of fabric can be right side (reversible). Right side of ruffles determines right side of piece.
- Ruffles add 2” length and width to fabric.
- Stitch pattern is worked in multiples of 6 + 1 (+1 for starting Ch), and any row multiple.
Cowl: Child (Teen, Adult)
Row 1: Ch 20, skip 1 Ch (not a St), Sc, [skip 2 Sts, Shell into next St, skip 2 Sts, Sc into next St] 3 times – 19 Sts; 4 Sc + 3 Shells
Row 2: Ch 3 (not a St), turn, Half Shell into Sc, [Sc into 3rd Dc of next Shell, Shell into next Sc], 2 times, Sc into 3rd Dc of next Shell, Half Shell into last Sc – 19 Sts; 2 Half Shells + 3 Sc + 2 Shells
Row 3: Ch 1 (not a St), turn, Sc into first Dc of Half Shell, [Shell into next Sc, Sc into 3rd Dc of next Shell] 2 times, Shell into next Sc, Sc into last Dc of Half Shell – 19 Sts; 4 Sc + 3 Shells
Repeat row 2 and 3 until 40 (44, 48) rows are complete. Do not fasten off.
Border: All Sizes
Round 1 (Right Side): Ch 1 (not a St), Turn to work across Left side of Cowl. Work 1 Sc into each Sc row end and 2 Sc into each Dc row end. Turn to work across Row 1 of Cowl. Work 1 Sc into each St across. Turn to work across Right side of Cowl. Work 1 Sc into each Sc row end and 2 sc into each Dc row end. Turn to work across last row of Cowl. Work 1 Sc into each St across, Sl St into top of first Sc to join – 158 (170, 182) Sc
Round 2: Ch 3 (not a St), work 3 Dc into each St around, Sl St into top of first St to join, fasten off – 474 (510, 546) Dc
- Thread yarn needle with 20” of yarn.
- Sew buttons onto first Sc St of row 2 and row 8, along Right edge of cowl.
- Sew in ends, trim excess.
Peace + Love + Crochet