If you can crochet in rows, you can work up the Sheryl Tee!
This crochet top uses basic crochet stitches like chain and double to create a striped looking fabric that even a beginner can do!
This crochet top is formed with two rectangles (the front panel and back panel), so you can easily measure for size as you go. That means you can try different yarns and hook sizes to find the perfect fit, right when you get started!
The Sheryl Tee is worked entirely in rows – no complicated increasing or decreasing here – so you’ll have an easy time working through the stitch pattern and counting!
After the first few rows, you won’t have to focus too much on reading and following each pattern line, so you’ll have the time and energy to work on this when you want: around friends and family, watching your favorite show, listening to a podcast, running errands, or on road trips!
If you’ve never crocheted a top before, this is a fantastically easy first project!
If you’ve dabbled in crocheting tops, you’ll enjoy the simplicity of the stitches and fabric, and choosing a yarn that fits your style and wardrobe.
This is a great pattern because:
- Making your first crochet top can be easy to do!
- You can easily substitute yarn to find a style and fit that you love!
- You can customize the length to make this top longer (like a tunic) or shorter (like a crop top)!
- You’ll get to practice a lot of crochet skills: rows, stitch tension, stitch counting and recognition, yarn choice, color choice, gauge, size, fit & more!
Before you get started…
Need some inspiration?
Check out other finished projects, here:
Not sure how to substitute yarn for a project like this?
Check out these tips, here:
Let’s get started!
Pattern Designed By: Salena Baca Crochet. This pattern is copyright protected; it is unlawful to distribute this pattern in any form (free, sale or trade).
Lion Brand Yarn Shawl in a Ball, Medium weight #4 yarn (58% Cotton, 39% Acrylic, 3% Other Fiber; 518 yds/473 m per 5.3 oz/150 g skein):
- Restful Rainbow 1 (2, 2, 3) Skeins
- Check for yarn substitutes!
- US K-10.5 (6.5mm) crochet hook
- Yarn needle
- Measuring Tape
SIZE: (Bust, Length, Arm Opening)
Bust = total width of Front and Back panels
Length = total length of 1 panel
Arm Opening = total space for 1 arm
- Small: 38” x 21” x 14”
- Medium: 48” x 23” x 14”
- Large: 58” x 24.5” x 16.5”
- xLarge: 68” x 27” x 16.5”
- 16 pattern Sts = 5”
- 10 pattern rows = 6”
- Pattern is worked in 2 sections: Panels, Seams
- Panel 2 is worked into Panel 1, Row 1.
- For the best fit, measure around bust or torso at largest point, follow pattern bust with closest match.
- Tee can be fitted (actual bust measurement) or oversized (4” or more than actual measurement), as desired.
- Length may be adjusted to taste, adding or omitting repeating rows of pattern (measure as you go for best results).
- This pattern can also be found in print, here: Build Your Skills Crochet Tops: 26 Simple Patterns for First-Time Sweaters, Shrugs, Ponchos & More (thank you for using my affiliate link)
INSTRUCTIONS: Small (Medium, Large, xLarge)
Ch 63 (79, 95, 111)
Row 1: Skip 2 Ch (not a St, here and throughout), Dc into 3rd Ch from hook, Dc into next 4 Sts, [Ch 3, skip 3 Sts, Dc into next 5 Sts] 7 (9, 11, 13) times – 61 (77, 93, 109) sts
Row 2 (Right Side): Ch 2, turn, Dc into next 5 Sts, [Ch 3, skip 3 Sts, Dc into next 5 Sts] 7 (9, 11, 13) times – 61 (77, 93, 109) sts
Repeat row 2 until 35 (38, 41, 45) rows complete, fasten off.
With Wrong Side of Panel 1 facing, attach yarn into first St of Row 1.
Row 1 (Right Side): Ch 2, [Dc into next 5 Sts, Ch 3, skip 3 Sts] 1 (2, 3, 4) times, Dc into next 5 Sts, Ch 35, skip 35 (head opening), [Dc into next 5 Sts, Ch 3, skip 3 Sts] 1 (2, 3, 4) times, Dc into last 5 Sts – 61 (77, 93, 109) Sts; 20 (30, 40, 50) Dc + 41 (47, 53, 59) Ch
Row 2: Ch 2, turn, Dc into next 5 Sts, [Ch 3, skip 3 Sts, Dc into next 5 Sts] 7 (9, 11, 13) times – 61 (77, 93, 109) sts
Repeat rows 2 until 35 (38, 41, 45) rows complete, do not fasten off, continue to Seams.
Turn to work across sides of Panel rows.
Row 1: Ch 5 (first Dc + Ch 2), (Dc, Ch 2) into the next 22 (23, 26, 28) Dc end rows, skip 24 (28, 28, 32) end rows (arm hole), (Dc, Ch 2) into next 23 (24, 27, 29) Dc end rows. Fasten off 30” tail.
Sew Row 1 of Seam together evenly, fasten off.
With Right Side of Panels facing, attach yarn into first St of Right Corner. Repeat Row 1 from Seam 1.
Sew in all ends, trim excess.
Peace + Love + Crochet