The Woven Crochet Pillow Cover can easily be made in any yarn of your choice, and in any size you want.
This pattern is worked in rows of single and double crochet stitches that work together to create a gorgeous texture.
This is a great pattern to crochet because:
- You’ll learn how to resize a stitch repeat to any size you want!
- Redecorate your old throw pillows with crochet!
- This project works great with any yarn you choose (yes, any yarn)!
- You’ll get to practice a lot of crochet skills: stitch repeats, stitch tension, gauge & size, color changes, seams, finishing techniques & more!
Before you get started…
Need some inspiration? Check out other finished projects, here:
Want to try this stitch on a smaller project first?
Click Here: Make a Woven Crochet Washcloth!
Let’s get started!
Pattern Designed By: Salena Baca Crochet. This pattern is copyright protected; it is unlawful to distribute this pattern in any form (free, sale or trade).
Yarn: Any yarn of choice (Sample made with 2 colors Super Bulky Weight #6, appx 375 yds for 18”x18” pillow).
- Hook that best fits yarn choice
- Yarn needle
- Square pillow form (18” shown)
Size & Gauge:
- Size is customizable for any square pillow and yarn you choose when you follow the Swatch For Gauge instructions!
- Measure your project as you go for the best fit.
- Color pattern shown: 50% of rows in Color A, 50% of rows alternating in rows of 2: Color B (2 rows), Color A (2 rows).
- Fabric is reversible; either side can be right side.
- Woven Pillow Cover created in 2 parts: Front / Back (rows), Border (rounds).
- Video: How To change color in rows (change color as desired).
- Video: Woven Crochet Stitch
- To work this pattern:
- Choose pillow size,
- Choose yarn,
- Swatch for gauge, to find your base chain & row repeats,
- Follow Pillow Cover instructions using Swatch outcomes.
Swatch For Gauge:
Using any yarn of your choosing, Ch 21.
Row 1: Skip 1 Ch (not a St), [Sc into 1 St, Dc into next St] across row – 20 Sts; 10 Sc + 10 Dc
Row 2: Ch 1 (not a St), turn, [Sc into 1 St, Dc into next St] across row – 20 Sts; 10 Sc + 10 Dc
Repeat row 2 until 10 rows complete, fasten off.
- 20 Sts = _____” (width)
- Divide 20 by inches = _____ Sts per inch.
- 10 rows = _____”; (height)
- Divide inches by 10 rows = _____ Inches per row.
Pillow Form (size of your pillow):
- Base Chain: Pillow Width _____ x Sts per inch _____ = _____ (round up or down to make odd)
- Row Repeats: Height of pillow _____ divided by inches per row _____ = total rows
Front & Back (repeat twice)
Chain, according to the size of your pillow form.
Row 1: Skip 1 Ch (not a St), [Sc into 1 St, Dc into next St] across row.
Row 2: Ch 1 (not a St), turn, [Sc into 1 St, Dc into next St] across row.
Repeat row 2 until the size of your pillow form is reached. Fasten off.
Hold Front & Back together so that the first and last rows are evenly aligned. Join yarn into both thicknesses of Front & Back, at last St of last row worked.
Round 1: Ch 1 (not a St). Rotate to work along Left side of Front & Back; work 3 Sc into the side of each Sc St across. Rotate to work along Row 1; [work 2 Sc into 1st St, skip 1 St] across. Rotate to work along Right side of Front & Back; work 3 Sc into the side of each Sc St across. Insert pillow form. Rotate to work along last row; [work 2 Sc into 1st St, skip 1 St] across, Sl St into top of first Sc, fasten off.
Finishing: Sew in ends, trim excess.
Peace + Love + Crochet