Granny squares are synonymous with crochet, and they are sometimes the very first thing we learn to make when we learn how to crochet.
While Granny squares can be quick and easy to make, they have a lot of complexities that sometimes make them tricky to work up – especially when you’re new to crochet:
- Granny squares are worked in joined rounds, from the center outward.
- Use the adjustable loop (magic ring) to start them.
- You’ll get to practice a lot of crochet skills: joined rounds, increasing, shaping, complex stitch repeats & more!
Before you get started…
Not sure what do to with a Granny Square?
Our ACA Granny Square Collection includes a banner, pillow cover, table runner, vest, blanket, tote bag, scarf and more!
Not sure how to join your finished squares? Try one of these 9 popular joins:
- Crochet Pieces Together As You Work (JAYGO): Removable Loop Join, Sc Join, Sl St Join
- Crochet Pieces Together When Done: Sl St join, Sc join, Mesh Combo join
- Sew Crochet Pieces Together: Whip, Blanket, Mattress
Let’s get started!
Pattern Designed By: Salena Baca Crochet. This pattern is copyright protected; it is unlawful to distribute this pattern in any form (free, sale or trade).
Yarn: Any yarn of choice. Sample made with Bulky Weight 5.
- US H/8 (5.0mm) Crochet Hook
- Yarn Needle
Size & Gauge: Not crucial
Stitch Key: Ch(s) = chain(s), Dc = double crochet, St(s) = stitch(es), Sl St = slip stitch
Specialty Stitch & Technique Key:
- Additional rounds may be added by repeating round 3 as desired (adding 12 Dc and 4 Ch-1 spaces per additional round).
- After you complete this granny square, share your project here: Granny Square Projects
Round 1 (Right Side): Form adjustable loop, Ch 3 (first Dc, here and throughout), work 2 Dc into loop, [Ch 3, 3 Dc] 3 times, Ch 3, Sl St into top of beginning Ch-3 to join – 24 Sts; 12 Dc + 4 Ch-3 spaces
Round 2: Sl St into each of next 2 Dc, Sl St into Ch-3 space, Ch 3, (2 Dc, Ch 3, 3 Dc) into same Ch-3 space, Ch 1, [(3 Dc, Ch 3, 3 Dc) into next Ch-3 space, Ch 1] 3 times, Sl St into top of beginning Ch-3 to join – 40 Sts; 24 Dc + 4 Ch-3 spaces + 4 Ch-1 spaces
Round 3: Sl St into each of next 2 Dc, Sl St into Ch-3 space, Ch 3, (2 Dc, Ch 3, 3 Dc) into same Ch-3 space, Ch 1, (3 Dc, Ch 1) into Ch-1 space, [(3 Dc, Ch 3, 3 Dc) into next Ch-3 space, Ch 1, (3 Dc, Ch 1) into Ch-1 space] 3 times, Sl St into top of beginning Ch-3 to join – 56 Sts; 36 Dc + 4 Ch-3 spaces + 8 Ch-1 spaces
Peace + Love + Crochet