If you love the classic granny square stitch, give this table runner a try!
Each granny square is created individually, then joined to the last one worked with crochet using the JAYGO (join-as-you-go) method for a gorgeous and seamless look!
An interesting feature in this pattern is that it can be worked in any size you choose; make the granny squares larger or smaller, make the table runner longer or shorter, and add as much or little border as you want!
This Granny Square Table runner is a great design to crochet because:
- You can use yarn you already have on hand!
- Learn how to make a granny square, and the JAYGO method!
- These projects use very little yarn, so they’re great stash-busters!
- You’ll get to practice a lot of crochet skills: Motifs, joined rounds, joining motifs, complex stitch and round repeats, shaping, color placement and changing, finishing techniques & more!
Before you get started…
Need some inspiration? Check out other finished projects, here:
If you need help learning how to make a granny square, watch this video:
If you need help learning how to work the JAYGO method (slip stitch joining), watch this video:
Let’s get started!
Pattern Designed By: Salena Baca Crochet. This pattern is copyright protected; it is unlawful to distribute this pattern in any form (free, sale or trade).
Yarn: Any yarn of choice (Sample made with 2 colors Worsted Weight #4, appx 250 yds, 100% cotton).
- Hook that best fits yarn choice
- Yarn needle
Size & Gauge: Measure your project as you go for the desired dimensions.
Stitch Key: Ch(s) = chain(s), Dc = double crochet, St(s) = stitch(es), Sl St = slip stitch
Specialty Stitch & Technique Key:
- Video: Adjustable Loop
- Video: Join As You Go (JAYGO): is worked by replacing a chain space with a slip stitch into the connecting square.
- Granny square table runner created in 2 parts: Joining Squares, Border.
- Table runner may be created in any size; measure 1 Joining Square, repeat pattern until your desired length is met. Border creates some additional length and width, which may also be repeated as desired.
- Change color as desired (example shows color A: Joining Squares rounds 1-3 and Border. Color B: Joining squares round 4).
- Video: How To Make A Granny Square.
Joining Squares (work any number as desired, join with JAYGO).
Beginning with square 2, attach each square with Right Side facing to the last. Join on one side with JAYGO method for: 2nd Ch of Ch-3 corner, Ch-1 space, Ch-1 space, Ch-1 space, 2nd Ch of Ch-3 corner (figure 2)
Round 1 (Right Side): Form adjustable loop, Ch 3 (first Dc, here and throughout), work 2 Dc into loop, [Ch 3, 3 Dc] 3 times, Ch 3, Sl St into top of beginning Ch-3 to join – 24 Sts; 12 Dc + 4 Ch-3 spaces
Round 2: Sl St into each of next 2 Dc, Sl St into Ch-3 space, Ch 3, (2 Dc, Ch 3, 3 Dc) into same Ch-3 space, Ch 1, [(3 Dc, Ch 3, 3 Dc) into next Ch-3 space, Ch 1] 3 times, Sl St into top of beginning Ch-3 to join – 40 Sts; 24 Dc + 4 Ch-3 spaces + 4 Ch-1 spaces
Round 3: Sl St into each of next 2 Dc, Sl St into Ch-3 space, Ch 3, (2 Dc, Ch 3, 3 Dc) into same Ch-3 space, Ch 1, (3 Dc, Ch 1) into Ch-1 space, [(3 Dc, Ch 3, 3 Dc) into next Ch-3 space, Ch 1, (3 Dc, Ch 1) into Ch-1 space] 3 times, Sl St into top of beginning Ch-3 to join – 56 Sts; 36 Dc + 4 Ch-3 spaces + 8 Ch-1 spaces
Round 4: Repeat round 3, fasten off – 72 Sts; 48 Dc + 4 Ch-3 spaces + 12 Ch-1 spaces
Repeat round 1-4 (using JAYGO for the last round) creating desired number of squares.
Assure Right Side is facing, attach yarn into any unworked ch-3 corner from Joining Squares.
Round 1: Ch 3 (first Dc), (2 Dc, Ch 3, 3 Dc) into same Ch-3 space, Ch 1. Work around: (3 Dc, Ch 1) into each Ch-1 space and Sl St join, (3 Dc, Ch 3, 3 Dc, Ch 1) into each Ch-3 space. Sl St into top of beginning Ch-3 to join.
Round 2: Sl St into each of next 2 Dc, Sl St into Ch-3 space, Ch 3, (2 Dc, Ch 3, 3 Dc) into same Ch-3 space, Ch 1. Work around: (3 Dc, Ch 1) into each Ch-1 space, (3 Dc, Ch 3, 3 Dc, Ch 1) into each Ch-3 space. Sl St into top of beginning Ch-3 to join.
Repeat round 2 once more, fasten off.
Sew in all ends, trim excess.
Peace + Love + Crochet