This market bag comes in two sizes and begins as a long rectangle, making this a really quick and easy bag to work up!
The open mesh stitches create a stretchy fabric that’s also very sturdy – a perfect market bag!
The Everyday Market Bag starts by creating a rectangle shape with chain and double crochet stitches that work up a mesh fabric.
The simple repetition of the tote base is quick and easy for any skill level!
Next, you’ll add a border around the rectangle shape to cinch up the sides using decreasing stitches, then you’ll add a round that includes long chains to create the purse straps.
A few rounds of single crochet, and a final round of slip stitches, really help to reinforce the strength of the straps, so you can feel confident using this bag everyday!
The Everyday Market Bag is a great pattern because:
- This pattern can be worked in one of two sizes, creating a market bag that comfortably fits in the hand or under the arm!
- Tote bags are quick and easy projects to work up!
- Use up yarn you already have in your stash (this is a perfect stash-buster)
- This project works great with cotton yarns, and plant-based fibers! But you can easily use other yarn types if you prefer.
- You’ll get to practice a lot of crochet skills: open and mesh fabric, joined rounds, stitch tension, gauge & size, decreasing stitches, finishing techniques & more!
Before you get started…
Need some inspiration?
Check out other finished projects, here:
Wondering how to change colors in rows of double crochet?
Watch our video, right here:
Let’s get started!
Pattern Designed By: Salena Baca Crochet. This pattern is copyright protected; it is unlawful to distribute this pattern in any form (free, sale or trade).
Lion Brand Yarn 24/7 Cotton, medium weight #4 yarn (100% Cotton; 186 yds/170 m per 3.5 oz/100 g skein)
- 1 (1.5) skein Mint (Color A)
- .25 (.25) skein Jade (Color B
- Check for yarn substitutes!
- US G/6 (4.0 mm) crochet hook
- Yarn needle
- Measuring Tape
- St(s) = stitch(es)
- Sl St = slip stitch
SPECIALTY STITCHES & TECHNIQUES
Dc2Tog = Double Crochet 2 Stitches Together (Decrease): [yarn over, insert hook into 1 St, yarn over, pull through stitch, yarn over, pull through 2 loops on hook] 2 times, yarn over, pull through 3 loops on hook.
- Small: Base = 16” wide x 18.5” tall, Tote = 8” tall x 18.5” wide
- Medium: Base = 23” wide x 24.75” tall, Tote = 11.5” tall x 24.75” wide
- 15.25 pattern Sts = 4”
- 8 Dc rows = 4”
- Pattern is worked in 2 sections: Base (Color A; rows), Handles (Color B; rounds)
- Change color as desired, or follow pattern to match colors shown.
With Color A, Ch 60 (84)
Row 1: Dc into 6th Ch from hook (first Dc + Ch 1 + skip 1 + Dc), [Ch 1, skip 1 St, Dc into next St] across row – 57 (81) Sts; 29 (41) Dc + 28 (40) Ch
Rows 2 – 30 (40): Ch 4 (first Dc + Ch 1), turn, skip 1 Ch, Dc into next St, [Ch 1, skip 1 St, Dc into next St] across row – 57 (81) Sts; 29 (41) Dc + 28 (40) Ch
Fasten off Color A
Attach Color B into final Ch-1 space of Row 30 (40)
Round 1 (Right Side): Ch 3 (first Dc), Dc into same space, Ch 1, turn to work into Left side of Tote Base, *work 2 Dc in 1st Dc row end, [Dc2Tog over next 2 Dc row ends] 14 (19) times, work 2 Dc into last Dc row end, Ch 1*, turn to work into Row 1 of Tote Base, **work 2 Dc into 1st Ch-1 space, [Dc2Tog over next 2 Ch-1 spaces] 13 (19) times**, work 2 Dc into last Ch-1 space, Ch 1, turn to work into Right side of Tote Base, repeat from * to *, turn to work in Row 30 (40) of Tote Base, repeat from ** to **, Sl St into 1st Dc to join – 74 (96) Sts; 54 (76) Dc2Tog + 16 (16) Dc + 4 (4) Ch-1 spaces
Round 2: Ch 1 (not a St, here and throughout), Sc into each St around, (Sc, Ch 1, Sc) into each Ch-1 space, Sl St to 1st Sc to join – 82 (104) Sts; 78 (100) Sc + 4 (4) ch-1 spaces
Round 3: Ch 1, Sc in each St to next Ch-1 space, Ch 50, skip Left side of Tote Base, Sc into next Ch-1 space, Sc in each St to next Ch-1 space, Ch 50, skip Right side of Tote Base, Sc in next Ch-1 space, Sc in each St across, Sl St to 1st Sc to join – 142 (154) Sts; 42 (54) Sc + 100 (100) Ch
Rounds 4 – 6: Ch 1, Sc in each St around, Sl St to 1st Sc to join – 142 (154) Sc
Round 7: Sl St into each St around, fasten off – 142 (154) Sl Sts
- Join Color B into Ch-1 space from Round 3 of Handle, Sl St into each St around. Repeat for 2nd Handle.
- Fasten off and sew in ends.
Peace + Love + Crochet