The Simple Shells Washcloth is made with alternating rows of solid stitches and groups of shells, creating a pretty surface for scrubbing anything you need in the bath and kitchen!
This washcloth is worked in rows using chains and double crochet stitches. You can easily customize the stitch repeat in multiples of 5+2 (+2 for the turning chain), then work any odd multiple of rows.
While you don’t see the term “shell” in the specialty stitch and technique section of this pattern, the group of five double crochet stitches worked into one place is a shell. Either way of writing the instruction is correct, and we hope beginners enjoy the simplicity in this version (the stitch chart should help, too).
This is a great pattern because:
- Washcloths are fun projects to learn new crochet stitches (especially when you follow our crochet chart with the written instructions)!
- You can use these in the bath or kitchen (plus, they make great gifts)!
- This project works great with cotton yarns (just one skein or less)!
- You’ll get to practice a lot of crochet skills: rows, stitch tension, stitch counting and recognition, shells (5 double crochet stitches into 1 space) , borders, gauge & size, finishing techniques & more!
Before you get started…
Need some inspiration? Check out other finished projects, here:
Want to learn even more crochet stitches?
Let’s get started!
Pattern Designed By: Salena Baca Crochet. This pattern is copyright protected; it is unlawful to distribute this pattern in any form (free, sale or trade).
Peaches & Creme Stripey, Worsted #4 yarn (100% Cotton; 102 yds/93 m per 2 oz/56.7 g skein): Denim (1 skein)
HOOK & OTHER MATERIALS
- US H/8 (5.00 mm) Hook
- Yarn needle
- 15 pattern sts = 4”
- 8 pattern rows = 4”
- 7.25” wide x 6.5” tall
- Stitch pattern is worked in multiples of 5+2 (+2 for turning Ch), and odd row multiples.
Row 1 (Right Side): Skip 3 Ch (first Dc, here and throughout), work 1 Dc into each Ch across – 27 Dc
Row 2: Ch 3, turn, skip 2 Sts, work 5 Dc into next St, [skip 4 Sts, work 5 Dc into next St] until 3 Sts remain, skip 2 Sts, Dc into last St – 27 Dc
Row 3: Ch 3, turn, work 1 Dc into each St across – 27 Dc
Repeat row 2-3 until 11 rows complete (ending on a row 3 repeat).
Round 1 (Right Side): Ch 1 (not a St), rotate to work along left side. Work 2 Sc around side of each Dc St (22 Sc), rotate to work along row 1. Work 1 Sc into each St (27 Sc), rotate to work along right side. Work 2 Sc around side of each Dc St (22 Sc), rotate to work along row 11. Work 1 Sc into each St (27 Sc), Sl St into top of first Sc to join, fasten off – 98 Sc
Finishing: Sew in ends, trim excess.
Peace + Love + Crochet