Halle’s Summer Poncho is worked in simple stitches without complicated increases, so even a beginner can quickly work one up!
This pattern is worked from the top down in two parts, and It’s a great pattern because:
- Three different sizes are included in this pattern design: Small, Medium & Large!
- Begin working the neck in rows, then work the body in joined rounds.
- Measure as you go to easily assure the size fits!
- Use up yarn you already have in your stash!
- This project works great with cotton yarns, and plant-based fibers for warmer months, and acrylic or animal fibers for cooler months.
- You’ll get to practice a lot of crochet skills: rows, joined rounds, stitch tension, gauge & size, color changes, finishing techniques & more!
Before you get started…
Need some inspiration? Check out other finished projects, here:
Wondering how to change colors in joined rounds?
Watch our video, right here:
Let’s get started!
Pattern Designed By: Salena Baca Crochet. This pattern is copyright protected; it is unlawful to distribute this pattern in any form (free, sale or trade).
Knit Picks Dishie, Worsted #4 yarn (100% cotton; 190 yds/173 m per 3.5 oz/100 g skein): 325 (375, 425) yds
- Color A (Navy): 1 skeins
- Color B (Blush): 1 skein
- Color C (Linen): 1 skein
- Color D (Swan): 1 skein
- Check for yarn substitutes!
HOOK & OTHER MATERIALS
- US Size H/8 (5.0mm) crochet hook
- Measuring tape
- Yarn needle
Neck: 10 Hdc rows = 5.5”
Body: 17 pattern Sts = 4”
Small: 30” Neck, 11” Long, 36” Wide
Medium: 34” Neck, 12.5” Long, 42” Wide
Large: 38” Neck, 14” Long, 48” Wide
- Ch(s) = chain(s)
- Sc = single crochet
- Hdc = half double crochet
- Dc = double crochet
- Sl St = slip stitch
- St(s) = stitch(es)
SPECIALTY STITCHES & TECHNIQUES
- BLO = Back Loops Only
- Pattern is worked in parts, from the neck down: Neck (rows), Body (joined rounds), Fringe (optional).
- Color changes (optional):
- Color A: Band, Body rounds 1-6 (8, 10)
- Color B: Body rounds 7 (9, 11) - 12 (14, 16)
- Color C: Body rounds 13 (15, 17) - 16 (18, 20)
- Color D: Fringe, all sizes.
- Video: Change color as desired.
INSTRUCTIONS: Small (Medium, Large)
Row 1: Skip 1 Ch (not a St), work 1 Hdc into BLO of each Ch across - 5 Hdc
Row 2: Ch 1 (not a St), turn, work 1 Hdc into BLO of each St across - 5 Hdc
Repeat row 2 until 52 (60, 68) rows complete.
Hold 1st row together with last row worked, Sl St through both fabrics to join. Turn band so that Sl St seam is on inside.
Do not fasten off, continue to Body.
Round 1 (Right Side): Ch 5 (first Dc + Ch-2 space), (Dc, Ch 2) into each Hdc end row from Band, Sl St into top of first Dc to join - 156 (180, 204) Sts; 52 (60, 68) Dc + 52 (60, 68) Ch-2 spaces
Round 2: Sl St until Ch-2 space reached, Ch 3 (first Dc), (Dc, Ch 1) into first Ch-2 space, (2 Dc, Ch 1) into each Ch-2 space around, Sl St into top of first Dc to join - 156 (180, 204) Sts; 104 (120, 136) Dc + 52 (60, 68) Ch-1 spaces
Round 3: Sl St until Ch-1 space reached, Ch 5 (first Dc + Ch-2 space), (Dc, Ch 2) into each Ch-1 space around, Sl St into top of first Dc to join - 156 (180, 204) Sts; 52 (60, 68) Dc + 52 (60, 68) Ch-2 spaces
Repeat rounds 2 and 3 until 16 (18, 20) rounds complete (ending on a round 2 repeat).
- 1 Fringe Bundle = 3 strands of yarn, 8” each in length.
- Evenly knot 1 fringe bundle into each Ch-1 space from last round of Body.
Sew in all ends, trim excess.
Peace + Love + Crochet